Apple Spice Granola

Thursday 24 January 2013
Everytime I look at this picture I took my mouth waters... dammit.

Honestly. If you buy and eat store bought Granola and like it, it is only because you know no better. I do not eat Granola unless I make it myself. Apart from all the (excuse my French) shit they add to it, making it totally unhealthy! The amount of times I've imagined rather eating the box for enjoyment or almost breaking a tooth on a rock hard nut or raisin (no I do not know how they get them that hard either)… It is all rather annoying and exhausting for something which is meant to be delicious, moreish and enjoyable. So I make my own. And it is goood, and healthy. You can eat it plain as a snack, or with yoghurt or milk or even on ice-cream! It is so yum that I double this recipe because it is not enough for a week of eating… I need more. Hope you like it! Let me know what you think!

Ingredients: 
(all organic, raw and unsweetened if you can)

  • 1/2 cup almonds
  • 1/2 cup pecans
  • 1/2 cup walnuts
  • 8 dates, chopped
  • 1/3 cup shredded coconut
  • 2/3 cups of raw oats
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ground ginger
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce (Woolworth Grannysmith is the best)
  • 1/3 cup macadamia nut oil
  • 2 tablespoons golden syrup (preferably the Lyle's Golden Lion Syrup in a can, it is just better)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Instructions:

Preheat oven to 180C and line a baking sheet with wax paper.
Add nuts, dates, coconut and oats to a food processor and pulse to slightly chop nuts. Add spices and salt and pulse again to evenly distribute.
In a small bowl whisk together apple sauce, oil, syrup, and vanilla. Place wet ingredient into the food processor with dry ingredients and pulse to combine.
Now take off your rings ladies! Evenly distribute granola (using fingers) on prepared baking sheet. Try not to get it too thin at the ends because this can burn very quickly and will ruin the whole taste… smoked granola is really not great.
Place in oven for 30 to 35 minutes until golden.  Stop to stir / check ingredients halfway through the baking so the edges do not get over brown.  It will allow things to cook evenly.  The granola will harden up once cooled completely.
I recommend keeping your Granola in a Tupperware in the freezer.  It keeps the granola crunchy! On nom!

Happy munching little squirrels!

Xoxo

PS. You don't HAVE to share... ^_^



Yes, Julia, yes!

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top